Physiotherapy with Parkinson’s disease.
The neuroprotective effect of exercise in parkinsonism has been proven by scientists in animal models. Researchers from the University of Pittsburgh found that exercise therapy helps the functioning of brain cells and slows down their degeneration. With Parkinson’s disease, exercise therapy helps to increase the amount of dopamine produced in the brain and the deficit of which is available in patients.
Medical exercises in Parkinson’s disease. Which classes to choose?
The complex of exercises for Parkinson’s disease should include all kinds of loads:
- Stretching for muscle elasticity and stiffness
- Aerobics for the development of general endurance and strengthening of the functions of the heart, blood vessels and respiratory system
- Strength exercises for maintaining muscle tone
- Classes should be aimed at improving coordination and balancing ability, developing the plasticity of the whole body. Physiotherapy exercises in parkinsonism helps reduce stress, anxiety and depression, so common in patients.
Medical exercises in Parkinson’s disease is conducted in a group, under the supervision of instructors. They give preference to such kinds of loads:
- tai chi – this gymnastics was very popular with Parkinsonism
- scandinavian walking
- with Parkinson, a bicycle is considered a good simulator for developing balance.
Medical exercises in Parkinson’s disease. Complex of exercises
In addition to group sessions, in order to improve coordination and reduce stiffness, it is recommended to perform daily exercise at home in Parkinsonism:
- The slopes and turns of the head in different directions.
Exercising breathing exercises – deep inhalation through the nose and noisy slow exhalation through the mouth.
- Developing the muscles of the shoulder girdle and joints: raising and leaning shoulders back.
From the sitting position, the body turns in different directions.
- Training muscles of wrists and wrists – produce rotational movements of wrists.
- To improve the fine motor skills of the hands, try to alternately fold the rings from the thumb and other fingers.
- Stretching the muscles of the back of the thigh, putting your foot on the heel and trying to bend down until you feel the tension.
- In the sitting position, the straight legs are lifted, the feet are turned.
- Lie on the floor and try to pull your legs, bent at the knees, to the chest.
- Lie down on the floor and bend your knees, perform the incline of the hips alternately in different directions.
- Try to stretch the calf muscles, keeping your foot as far as possible from the back and not taking your feet off the floor.
- To rise on tiptoe with a support on a chair or other crossbeam.
- To develop and strengthen the muscles of the chest recommended push-ups from the wall.
- With parkinsonism, exercise should be done slowly, feeling the tension of the muscles. The number of repetitions is 10 times.
In the study of exercises for Parkinson’s disease video will be the best assistant if there is no instructor nearby.
Recommendations for performing gymnastics in Parkinson’s disease
Before you start the exercises, you should take care of comfortable clothes and shoes, as well as follow certain rules:
- It is necessary to individually select for Parkinson’s disease curative gymnastics, taking into account the features of the symptoms of each patient
- To start for the first time to exercises at parkinsonizme it is necessary only under supervision of specially trained person
- The number and pace of training should be increased gradually
- Do not perform complexes that cause discomfort and pain
- When there is pain, stop immediately.
- To provide during the rest
- Maintain a quiet breath
All exercises need to be done with widely spaced legs to avoid losing balance and falling
To train the balance, you first need to use the exercises from the sitting position, and then move on to standing.
If the body tilts involuntarily mainly in one direction, it is necessary to take a weight (dumbbell) in the other hand,
Try to do all the physical exercises in Parkinson’s disease independently, without anyone’s help – so you can get the best effect.
More often the main problem in the motor activity of patients with Parkinsonism is precisely the beginning of the movement. If you try to start walking, it feels like the leg is stuck to the floor, you can first put the foot on your fingers, which will remove the stiffness and ease the start. It will be useful to preliminarily make the swaying movements with free hands in different directions, which will also relieve tension.
Medical exercises in parkinsonism is recommended to supplement with speech exercises for speech training and development of its speed. Each of them is performed up to 10 times, depending on the state of health:
- Folding of lips into a tube
- Broad smile
- Sticking out the tongue from the mouth to the maximum distance
- Performing rotational movements with the tongue, lifting it up and lowering down, pressing the walls of the cheeks from the inside.
Regular exercise in Parkinson’s disease will help improve the general condition, strength of muscles, increase mobility in the joints, and remove stiffness.