Do you know why many foreigners saying that Americans are more aggressive and assertive? Because cholesterol levels on average significantly lower than that in Europe. Scientists already clear: the zeal that we show on the fronts of the war against cholesterol, too, and at times harmful. It is time to review the strategy and tactics of cholesterol wars!
The recent announcement of physicians sounds sensational: there is a direct link between high cholesterol and heart disease!
- Doubts about this have always existed, but in the late 90’s there were unexpected research data. It was found that cholesterol reduction using powerful drugs – statin reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases only initially, when the level falls to 10-20%. After that is done – the risk is not reduced. Some scientists even suggest that the positive effect is achieved not by reducing cholesterol, but because of other effects that statins have.
- Such research is already a lot. It turns out a paradoxical situation: yesterday urged us to push cholesterol by all means possible, almost to the level of a rabbit (the norm for rodents – 50 mg / dL for a man – 200 mg / dL).
Cholesterol – just one of the risk factors for atherosclerosis, although important. These observations indicate that the higher the average population in cholesterol, the greater the incidence of cardiovascular diseases. High cholesterol.
- If you reduce cholesterol, it does not mean that you agree to fight with atherosclerosis. The bear, for example, a normal cholesterol level 2 times greater than in humans, and atherosclerosis, however, is not the most prevalent disease among clumsy.
- Dangerous not the cholesterol in the blood, and the one that settles on the walls of blood vessels, forming plaques. Especially in combination with other lipid metabolism disorders: high blood levels of triglycerides or low cholesterol carriers – high-density lipoprotein (HDL). Each of these disorders provoke atherosclerosis.
- It makes no sense to fight with cholesterol and as such too carried away by this war. Without cholesterol, the body can not exist – it is a building material. All cell structures and brain tissue contain cholesterol, it – the precursor of steroid hormones, without it can not operate the central nervous system.
- But try to keep the level in the normal range is still necessary. In most cases this can be achieved by diet. For doctors agreed to consider the rate of 5.2 mmol / l (200 mg / dL). For the majority of this figure – a dream: the average cholesterol Russians is 240 mg / dL.
- Learn how elevated cholesterol, can only be a blood test. Men are not advisable to do it the first time in 35-40 years, especially if there are additional risk factors – smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure (overweight but not considered as an important factor). Women are advised to check cholesterol levels with the onset of menopause.
Can you believe the analysis? Not long ago, experts estimated the accuracy of the blood lipids in the laboratories Conventional clinics. It was found that 80% of them allow great error.
There is another way: ask what method determine the level of cholesterol in the lab – if the fermentation, it is possible to believe that the analysis will be fairly accurate. But note that this method is expensive, and therefore have to pay for it. Most of doubt should call the free tests they carried out the oldest, cheapest and inaccurate method.
So, you know the level of cholesterol in the blood and now have to decide if you want to change something in your life or not.
If cholesterol 240-250 mg / dL (or 6 mmol / l), it is worth considering whether you eat. Especially if you have other risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Emergency measures to take, however, is not necessary.
If cholesterol 280-300 mg / dl (7-7.5 mmol / l), it is necessary to move on to take decisive action. But in any case, do not grab for drugs – in fact, in principle, until you are completely healthy. To those and remain, vital lifestyle changes: move more, eat less and keep track of what you eat. Monitor the results should be within the first 2-4 months on a monthly basis to assess the effectiveness of your diet.